The YWCA of Palm Beach County invites you to apply for the position of “Residence Coordinator”, and to join a close-knit team of dedicated and knowledgeable advocates serving on the front-lines of domestic violence direct response.
The Residence Coordinator is a core position to the operations of Harmony House, a 72-bed emergency domestic violence shelter for women and children. Residence Coordinators work with Family Service Coordinators to ensure participant needs are addressed in a timely manner, with sensitivity and compassion. They support the entry and exit of participants from Harmony House, and provide comfort and information to survivors and community members calling our 24-hour Domestic Violence Hotline.
Resident Coordinators ensure Harmony House campus runs smoothly and efficiently by keeping food and personal supplies in stock, identifying maintenance concerns, transporting participants in agency vehicles, and creating a clean and inviting environment for everyone.
This position requires extensive on-site, hands-on training, as well as State-level Certification (arranged by YWCA). It is an entry-level position, with tremendous opportunity to build skills, increase knowledge, and to grow personally and professionally.
Position Duties & Functions
• Provides excellent care to survivors of domestic violence
o Answers 24-hour hotline – conducts screenings of and safety plans with survivors; provides information to all callers.
o Welcomes new participants into Harmony House by picking them up in a secured location, and conducting initial orientation into the program.
o Ensures survivors at Harmony House receive basic necessities upon arrival and throughout their stay (e.g. food, personal hygiene items, etc.)
o Provides transportation to participants, as needed or assigned.
o Ensures confidentiality of participants, as well as location of Harmony House.
o Ensures accurate and timely entry of statistical information into secured database (training provided).
o Facilitates pick-up and sorting of all in-kind donations on a daily and/or weekly basis.
o Ensures cleanliness of shelter – cleaning apartments (when needed), washing linens upon a participant’s exit from program, and any other task needed or assigned to maintain the health and safety of Harmony House participants.
• Maintains regulatory requirements of State-certified emergency domestic violence shelter.
o Attends 30-hour Domestic Violence Advocate training in order to obtain State-level certification (arranged by YWCA).
o Communicates with the Director of Domestic Abuse Shelter and Senior Residence Coordinator consistently, and as needed.
o Attends at least 75% of mandated Resident Coordinator monthly meetings which provide updates, progress towards goals, and feedback for improvement.
o Obtains sixteen (16) hours of training, annually, between July 1 and June 30.
o Ensures notification to Senior Residence Coordinator when supplies are low, and when there are maintenance concerns.
o Ensures all standards and regulations are adhered to and followed.
Attitude & Personality
• Approachable and charismatic – you work well with a team and you know when to lead or step back.
• Open-minded and perceptive – you welcome new ideas and information, and you have/show insight.
• Critical thinking and dependability – you seek to process information quickly and to act accordingly. You show commitment to your job, your fellow teammates, to participants living at shelter.
• You believe survivors of domestic violence, and you understand that sharing in their healing journey is a privilege.
• You are a go-getter. We wear many hats at Harmony House, and every day looks different.
Skills & Abilities
• Engages with survivors living at shelter using a survivor-centered and empowerment-based perspective.
• Must have basic to intermediate technology skills (Outlook, scanning, data entry).
• Must be agile, timely, and responsive to needs in fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
• Must be able to handle confidential information discretely.
• Must be able to bend and to lift at least thirty (30) pounds.
Education & Requirements
• High School diploma or GED.
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must submit a resume detailing work history (paid or unpaid).
• Must include a cover letter explaining desire to work at Harmony House, and applicable job experience. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
Starting Salary: $15.00 per hour
Work Schedule: Weekdays/Weekends and On Call Available; Shifts: 7 am - 3 pm , 3 pm -11 pm & 11 pm - 7 am