Eliminate Racism. Empower Women.
At the YWCA of Palm Beach County, we work tirelessly to accomplish two very significant goals:
- Eliminate Racism
- Empower Women
We achieve our goals in myriad ways.
We are proud of our legacy as pioneers of race relations and the empowerment of women. YWCA does not back down from tough issues. Our team in Palm Beach County is dedicated to forwarding our collective mission to eliminate racism and empower women. Our Racial & Gender Equity Institute offers programs that are aimed at eliminating racism, like:
- Stand Against Racism, an annual educational awareness building campaign culminating in a luncheon that encourages and motivates businesses and individuals to commit to take a stand against racism.
- Dorothy Height Award is given each year to an individual or organization that embodies the YWCA of Palm Beach County’s commitment to eliminating racism and racial bias.
- Y-Justice reaches beyond addressing individual or interpersonal racism and bias. Through workshops, community conversations, and organization training, Y-Justice addresses the foundations of structural and institutional racism- the policies, practices, cultural representations, values, beliefs, etc., that create, reinforce, and rationalize racial disparities.
- An advocacy agenda that seeks to move the needle in eradicating structural racism through supporting effective policy.
By harnessing the potential of every woman, YWCA brings real change to the fight for gender equality. To empower each woman to achieve her highest potential, we offer services that educate, strengthen, and encourage. These services include:
- Programs that help women and children flee domestic violence situations and position them to live a life free of fear, violence, and abuse
- Rapid Re-Housing for women transitioning out of an unsafe domestic violence situation who are in jeopardy of becoming homeless
- Affordable child development program for working mothers who need affordable options for child development and kindergarten readiness
- Women’s Health programs that improve access to healthcare and healthcare insurance and increase awareness of health issues that disproportionately impact women
- Youth empowerment programs such as Y-Girls, Y-Teens, and Just US Girls, that empower young girls to become strong, independent women and consider STEM careers
- An advocacy agenda that is aimed at bringing about gender equality